Monday, December 29, 2008

Body World

Saturday Willie and I decided to go to the body worlds exhibit. Willie was really excited to go, I was less so, but decided I would support Willie. Willie's mom Sheryl wanted to go as well as his cousin Kim. The tickets were pretty pricey, and more so due to Willie's mom purchasing them thru a separate vendor who then charged an additional fee..anyway, our tickets were for 3 PM there was no street parking so we parked in the library which was very close but also had to pay for that..so as we get into the Leonardo museum there are lines everywhere! We were sent to the basement to wait in a line..we had brought the stroller which was mostly a good thing but elevators weren't very accessible so we carried the stroller up and down many stairs, we waited in about three different very long lines. They did have an entertainment of sorts in one of the lines. Projected on the wall was a skeleton who would have a comment box saying what people texted it. Which I particularly thought was interesting due to someone texting it saying the blonde in the white jacket was hot, and since I was the only one in the line wearing a white jacket everyone assumed it was me..which I was ok with, and I know Willie didn't do it because he had left before we moved to this line to go get me some hot chocolate. It was nice to get a compliment from a complete stranger who I will probably never know. Anyway...if you do end up going go to the bathroom first, the bathrooms within the Leonardo stink, and they have trailers that are very much like port o potties..or however you spell it.
After waiting in an hour and a half of lines you can finally go in, you can choose to purchase a headphone speach guide or you can just not be lazy and read all the different things about all the different body parts. None of us chose to buy them, but my mother in law talked a lady out of hers in the museum. It was very crowded inside, and very hot. You pretty much had to fight your way to see anything, and if you were standing too far back from anything someone would come stand in front of you. I thought it would be a museum full of bodies, but it actuallity there were only about 10 full bodies. There were body parts everywhere, and other cool things like the fetus section which was probably the best part besides the full bodies. Oh and this isn't really a museum for kids or those that are skiddish of body parts..there are genital areas on all of the full bodies, and they don't really hide anything..the men hang down and the women stick out haha if that makes any sense.
My experience might have been made worse due to my mother in law deciding she needed to read every caption to every little thing..which would have taken 6 hours at least. We were halfway thru the top half of the museum while she was still at the very first case full of parts..yes she was very slow, and it irritated me very much! Considering she was the only one with nursing school you would think she would know more than us and not have much of a need to read every little detail..but she is Sheryl..
Looking back would I do it again, No. It was very crowded both inside and out so to even enjoy the inside was difficult, it was VERY expensive, and inconvenient. Yeah it was cool to see certain things but is it worth it, I would say no. Just my opinion if your thinking about going.

0 comments: