Monday, December 8, 2008

My hospital story


You can see Jami in the background, they had a nutricion room to which they raided often, lots of free food and drinks! I was jealous however because I couldn't eat anything. Jami was awesome with helping me monitor contractions and progress thru my labor, it probably wouldn't have gone as smoothly without her! Thanks to both my sisters for their support and the hours they spent with me when I know they could have been doing so much more! Brandon also brought lunch in which was great cause Willie really needed to eat too, and he was refusing before this point.

This is Willie and Michelle and Jamin preparing to meet the newest member of the family!


This is after I was fully dialated and effaced and at stage 2 out of 3, at 3 you can see the head crowning, so I was close at this point.

This is me on oxygen after my epidural! I was very happy!

We arrived at Orem Community Hospital just before 5 AM I couldn't sleep at all! I ended up falling asleep around 12:30 and woke up alot but by the time my alarm went off at 4 I was awake waiting for it to go off cause that meant that I could get ready to have my baby! There was no one to help us check in so as we were instructed we picked up the phone to ask for assistance..it just rang and rang for about 5 min and a guy was entering and was about to just let us in when the nurse finally picked up. Come to find out there were 2 other women to be addmitted at 5 and the nurses were very short staffed.
They got us into a room handed me a gown and left again. I was so nervous I couldn't even tie the strings to my gown! I am such a wimp when it comes to pain, and I knew the first thing they would do when they got back was put in my IV, keep in mind I have never been a patient in a hospital before and it was all very new strange and in my mind painful. Finally the nurse came back, and she was training a new person but thankfully for me the trainee was just watching instead of practicing. They found the vein for my IV on my left had wrist..which was awkward placement I thought, but my knowing husband just instructed me that everyone's veins are in different places. So she hooks me all up, and yes it hurt but it wasn't that bad, there was however a continuing pain, and after the nurse left I told Willie, and he noticed there was a puddle of blood in the plastic holding the IV in, when the nurse came back we told her, and she pushed the IV in a bit further and tightend a piece on it that was loose apparently..but she taped it all together rather rough looking so I had tape all over my arm holding tubes in..it was great.
They started the pitocin drip gradually, and checked it and increased it every hour. I felt the contractions soon, and on the charts they were crazy big but just felt like pressure to me. So Willie and I hung out for an hour or two then started a movie. The previous night I had asked my brother in law if he would be willing to come give me a blessing to which he said he would as soon as they got up and ready, so I kept waiting for their text to say they were coming. About 1/4 thru the movie and almost right at 8 I got my first real contraction..and can I tell you it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life! I immidiatedly told Willie to get the nurse I wanted that epidural and I wanted it NOW! He started laughing at me because anyone that knows me well knows that ill tough out pain if i can, I would rather not take pills or anything else for pain. So he went to get her, and was back in a few min to tell me they would call the anesthesiologist. I was dying and a different nurse came in to check on me cause my other nurse was busy, and she was very surprised that I had progressed as quickly as I had, she checked me, and I was dialated to a 5! She was like we need to get your nurse in here and ill tell the doctor to come faster, you are in real pain! I instructed Willie to call my brother in laws because I needed help right away. My nurse came in and was surprised as well at my progression and my level of pain..as she was adjusting my IV the doctor came in and started talking to me about the epidural with the risks etc..i was having a hard time paying any attention due to my pain..as soon as my contraction was done I signed the paper as fast as I could and got myself into position to receive the most painful shot of my life as it would seem. I received a local anesthetic first which felt exactly like a bee sting, and I cried out so loud the nurse gave me a pillow to grip for the next shot, I was gripping it so hard and breathing into it and having a contraction that I found myself unable to breathe thru all this I was able to stay still, and didn't even realize that the shot had gone in and the doctor was done. I was put on oxygen after that and had to keep it on the rest of my labor. I started to feel alot of pressure after that, but the pain was slowly going away, I had my button for pain to which I pushed alot in the beginning! About five min later I was feeling AMAZING! My sisters arrived soon after, and administered a blessing of comfort and that my delivery would go smoothly and that I would be able to deal with what was to come after. It was an amazing blessing and it gave me confidence that I could do this! The doctor came in after that to check me and break my water. We found out at this point that he was facing up not down like he was supposed to, and it wasn't a big deal the doctor would just have to turn him before he came out. My sisters stayed with me and Willie the rest of the time.

0 comments: